Sunday, March 8, 2009

500 cupcakes - classic chocolate buttercream cupcakes

Well... last week's Vanilla Cupcakes came out soooooo yummy, I was really excited to try something new this week...

Hubby loves chocolate (as does our lil niece) so I thought I'd try the basic chocolate with chocolate frosting, to see if I can master that... Halved the recipe again since, if I'm gonna be making weekly cupcakes, I need to cut down on 'em since I'll literally eat them all!
Recipe is exactly the same as the Vanilla Cupcake recipe and in addition, calls for 4 tbsp. Dutch-process cocoa powder.

They didn't have Dutch-process cocoa powder at the store (or I didn't see it) so I thought Ghiradelli's would do.

I realize now that this may have contributed to this batch not coming out so good.... Will get into that later.Mixed it all up!
This batter came out creamier than vanilla cupcake batter.

Where that batter was thicker, this batter was creamier.

Not bad or good, just interesting.Kinda looks like frosting!

Put it in the oven for 20 mins and let 'em bake!

Meanwhile:


Prepared frosting...
Melted butter, chocolate chips in pan with some milk, on low heat.

Ding!

Cupcakes done!

They look good! They smell great! Whoa, nelly! That one rose a lot!


Chocolate chips, butter & milk melted and mixed!

Mmmm... I could just drink this as-is...
Once cooled, frosted my cupcakes!
Shiny!

I was worried that my frosting was a bit too runny... But it definitely thickened up as it cooled...

It almost looked like chocolate donut bar-frosting (um, which is fine with me, by the way...)!

;-)

So, the big bummer...

These didn't come out bad. They just didn't come out great.
The problem is... they aren't as light and airy as the Vanilla cupcakes!

These came out more bread-y... more muffin-ish.
At first I thought it was the switch from All-Purpose Flour (which I used last week in Vanilla cupcakes) vs. Self-Rising Flour, which these recipes actually really do call for, and which I used today.
I've read a few things online about Self-Rising vs. All-Purpose or even Cake Flour.
Self-Rising doesn't seem to get a good word.
But after reading up on Dutch-Process Cocoa, I think that's what did me in.
According to Joy of Baking, when the recipe calls for Dutch-Process, it really does mean use dutch-process!!!
Cause the:

Anyway...
I was thinking of doing the Banana Cupcakes (p. 39) but I'm thinking I might try these again next week and go on the hunt for actual Dutch-Process Cocoa and also get my All-Purpose Flour back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

cupcakes are my weakness... when all else fails, have a cupcake.