Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tarte Tatin

I did it!!!

Kinda...


Tarte Tatin is my foe...  My "unicorn".

It's the thing that I just can't seem to master!

I've tried it several times now and, the last time was so bad, it left me a bit scarred... (emotionally and on my hands!).  :)

Anyway, I got away from the Joy of Cooking recipe and followed a combo of these two recipes:

The French Food section of the About.com site

This tarte really is simple and easy to make.  It's just time consuming and it requires patience!

I put 1/4 cup of butter in the the cast iron and on the sides... Let it melt down.

Then added 1/2 cup of sugar and tried to get it as thin and even as possible.

Then, added my Apples (a combo of Gala, Pink Lady & Braeburn)!

Arranged them as best I could.  This, for me, is one of the hardest parts!
I let the apples cook on the stove for about 18 mins, then I put the whole thing in the oven (preheated to 425) for 20 mins.

After the 20 mins, took it out and put my pie crust on... which you can see, fell apart on me!

Put it back in the oven for another 20 mins.

Et voila!

It was done!


I know it's a mess... It's not beautiful.

But the fact that it's not charcoal-burnt and is actually edible is a huge accomplishment for me!


Had hubby help me flip it over, and...

Here it is!


Taste-wise, it's very good!

Looks-wise... so-so.


I want to keep trying it and this has given me hope that it is do-able!

Maybe someday, my Tarte Tatin and I will go from being foes to being friends!

:)

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks quite Julia Child-ish! I am impressed! Yay for you for tackling a tough recipe and succeeding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a banana Tarte Tatin last night and it gave me some trouble... Not a fan! Yours looks way better than mine did!!

    Also, your rainbow cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete

cupcakes are my weakness... when all else fails, have a cupcake.