Saturday, April 4, 2009

500 cupcakes - cone cakes

Best laid plans...

I'd promised my lil niece I'd make her cupcakes as a "YAY!" for passing her GATE test...

And wanted to make her these cute Cone Cakes from the 500 book, but...

I needed a mini-muffin pan, which I didn't have!

So these ended up being just regular cupcakes... but still really yummy.

So basics for yellow cakes:

And butter frosting... It didn't call for chocolate but since lil niece LOVES the chocolate, I had to add it!


Mmm... This came out sooooo creamy and buttery (in consistency).
I could just eat spoonfuls of that.

Into the oven they go!

Meanwhile...

Made the frosting.

So here's the deal... I dunno why but my frosting is hit-or-miss, consistency-wise.

Taste-wise, the frosting is yum. But this frosting wasn't as thick as it probably should have been.

I'm learning that environmental temperature has a lot to do with a lot so I'm wondering if the house was too warm, therefore the frosting didn't thicken.

Or did I just not beat it long enough? I dunno...

Ding! Outta the oven... Mmmm...


So, again... here's my beef...

Cause our oven is a bit goofy, I've started setting the timer for shorter periods and then keeping a real close eye on 'em every 1-2 mins after that.

So, for example... Recipe calls for 20 mins baking time. I set it for 16 mins. Then, if they're not done yet, I just start watching it every min or so after.

Taking it out & checking it til the old toothpick comes out clean.

This is fine except that what's happeninig is that the four cupcakes in the center come out toothpick gooey... but the ones on the end come out toothpick clean!

I later learned (from my sis-in-law) that it's better to put the cupcakes on the middle rack in the oven, instead of on the top rack...

Duh! Totally makes sense (for more even baking).

I love that I learn somethin' new every week.

Needless to say, these came out totally yum. I cut this recipe in half so there was just enough for everyone plus a few extras for the Gate exam-passing niece!

Happy Campers all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment

cupcakes are my weakness... when all else fails, have a cupcake.